Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Got Milk?

So before I start complaining I want to start by thanking God for our miraculous bodies. A women's body truly is miraculous in every way. We can grow another person inside of us. We can not only grow another person but we can sustain it's life inside and outside of the womb. Our body is all that baby needs for the full 40 weeks and it lives solely off of the umbilical cord and then once they are born our body can sustain them solely off of breast milk. I think the fact that our breast can make milk and feed our babies is amazing, but I also think it is a huge responsibility. Our babies depend entirely on us for survival. Lincoln has had nothing but breast milk in his 12 weeks of life. Granted sometimes Eli feeds him a bottle but even when he feeds him it is still milk that came from my breasts. It is amazing how personal we take comments about our milk. Eli grabbed a bottle out of the refrigerator the other night and he made a comment that there was only 4 and half ounces in the bottle and that he thought we were going to start giving him 5oz. I immediately got defensive and said, "Unless you can produce milk from your breasts then I guess that is all there is." Yes I said that. To him he was just asking a question, but to me he was insulting my ability to be a good mother and provide for my child. I am constantly wondering if I am making enough milk or how long I will be able to breast feed. I feel guilty if I drink too much coffee and not enough water. I feel guilty if I have a drink later than the 2 hour window before pumping. It is just a huge responsibility and it becomes overwhelming at times. We are constantly in demand. I can only be away from him for a total of 2 and half hours. I was talking to a close girlfriend of mine the other day who has a baby the same age as Lincoln and she made me feel a little less crazy. She was laying in bed the other morning while her baby cried and she was tyring to get him to go another half hour so they could keep their morning schedule and she could get to work on time. Her husband rolled over and asked her if she was really going to make the baby wait a half an hour to eat. She was totally hurt by this because to her it meant that her husband thought she was torturing their baby by making him wait a half hour to eat. Every time someone looks at you and says I think the baby is hungry you immediately get defensive and say no he's not! People of course do not say that to hurt me or to question my ability as a mother but that is how I take it. And from what I have heard so do most other mothers. I want to conclude by thanking our Heavenly Father for my milk!

5 comments:

Kari said...

Well I don't know anything about breast feeding personally, but I know you're a fabulous mother and you're doing a great job. Just remain confident that you know your body and what your baby needs. God designed you to be smart, insightful, sensitive, nurturing, and loving! You're amazing!!!

“Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.” Proverbs 31:28 (NIV)

Brie said...

I totally agree 100% with what you wrote. I worry all the time about how long I'll be able to feed Logan. I ran into a friend the other day who said her milk dried up at 3 months and I've been paranoid ever since. And even though I've been having to pump at work (which is always a good time) it's totally worth it to know that Logan is getting the best I can give him.

Kelly said...

I know exactly how you feel. I am always worried about whether or not my son gets enough milk. I just remind myself that he is happy and gain weight so he must be okay. Oh, and five ounces is a LOT to pump. My son is 2 1/2 months and I am just now able to pump four ounces. I know I don't know you, but you sound like you are doing a wonderful job!

Flash family said...

I hear ya, girl! It is a huge responsibility to know your baby needs you all the time. You feel guilty and selfish when you just want to wait a little bit longer because you want to get something done first. It is definately more time consuming and demanding than I had ever thought but I still wouldn't change it for the world. I love that God made us women the way He did!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I completely understand Melissa. It was hard for me at first too, because Christian was totally depending on ME for life, what a HUGE responsibility. And not being away from him for more than 3 hours for 6 months was hard. But like you said, it's such a blessing from God, and He won't let you fail, you're doing great!!