Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, July 4, 2008

Fourth of July-Hartwell Family Reunion

My mom's side of the family gets together every 4th of July for a reunion in Nebraska. My mom's mom was born on the 4th of July so we always get together to celebrate Granny Ladies birthday. It is such a great tradition. I think I have only missed two of them in my 28 years. One time I was in Ukraine and the other I was on my honeymoon, so they were valid excuses!
My mom is one of 8 kids and 5 of the 8 were there for the reunion. My uncle Buddy the oldest passed away a long time ago and my uncle Chad lives in North Carolina and wasn't able to make it and my uncle Dell was not able to make the trip. We missed you guys! We decided to have the reunion at Red Willow lake this year. It was a great idea because there was lots for everyone to do. Most of us camped for the weekend so we got to spend a lot of time together and there was a pot luck on Saturday so all of us could be in one place at one time. We did a lot of boating, wakeboarding, tubing and played corn hole and washers. We ate and talked a lot. Aunt Jacquetta had a drawing for a big granny sun hat. She also put a poster board together of pictures of granny lady at the lake. Some of the grand kids wrote their favorite memories on the board. It was cute to see what some of the little ones remembered about granny. Bubby wrote on there that Jacquetta sent him over to granny's one time to get a band aid and her hearing was so bad that she sent him home with a bag of candy. I remember one time Danny and I were riding in the car with granny and she ran right through a stop sign. We both closed our eyes and told her that she had just run a stop sign and she said don't worry everyone knows it's the granny mobile and they get out of the way! She was so fun to ride in the car with. Every time she would turn a corner she would say "WEE!"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANNY AND AMERICA!

No comments: