Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, January 3, 2008

My Day as a Pin Cushion

I had my 4 hour glucose test yesterday. I finally arrived at the Quest blood lab around 8:15. My appointment was at 8, but it took me forever to find the place. When I got there and signed in the lady informed me that they were considered out of network for my insurance. I just laughed and asked if there were other places to get my blood work done and she said that there were lots of them. I asked her why my Dr would have sent me to them knowing what my insurance is. It did not surprise me considering I have not had the greatest experiences with my OB office thus far. She told me that I could call one of the other places and try to drop in. I just decided to stay there and get it over with. I was already dreading being pricked 4 times and spending half a day at a blood draw lab and I was frazzled from getting lost, so I just told her to go ahead and take my blood!
They made the first "puncture" yes it was more of a puncture than a prick....at 8:15 and then I had to take the nasty syrupy orange drink. This time around I had to drink the whole thing within 5 minutes instead of just half like I did on the first glucose test. I sat there for an hour and then they punctured me again at 9:15, then 10:15 and then again at 11:15. I was hoping they would just put the needle in once and then attache the tubes multiple times but they said that they can't leave it in and they would have to go in 4 times. My arms are bruised and very sad!
The ladies were very nice and they put a movie in the little TV for me because I wasn't allowed to leave. The highlight of the day was getting to see the movie "The stepford wives" which if you have seen you know the day must have been bad if that was the highlight!
I had been fasting since 8 the night before so when I was done at 11:30 I stopped to get some food and then headed into work. I am suppose to get my results today but I have yet to hear from the Dr. I am praying that they will come back negative for gestational diabetes.

I will let you know!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Mel, I'm sorry you had such a yucky experience! What a long morning of dealing with insurance, being pricked, and watching a terrible movie! I pray that you don't have diabetes and everything is just fine!!! I love you so much!!